Sunday, September 5, 2010

Expectations of Faith



Yesterday morning was our first meeting with the Agapé France team here in Paris. The energy was exciting and I can't wait to get on campus with my newfound French brothers and sisters. We read through a passage that I have read before in Jeremiah, its the "I know the plans" passage that we read when we're uncertain about the future and a wonderfully comforting reminder.



But something struck me in a challenging way being here in Paris, and I want to share some thoughts and revelations with you. 

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."

In this passage the Israelites are discouraged. They have been exiled and are waiting for the Lord to deliver them. They are short-sighted and see only their present struggles and circumstances. They want immediate redemption from exile and are starting to believe anyone who will tell them what they want to hear.

False prophets are promising a better life elsewhere, but God's call is different. He tells them to take up residence where they are at, and to live their lives trusting him wherever they are. The Lord assures them that "I know the plans I have for you," and they are pretty good plans! 

How often do I jump to the conclusion, that because my own circumstances are not as they should be, that my God does not love me. That he is not inclined to do good to me. Maybe that he is not even leaning favorably in my direction. 

Matthew Henry says, "We are sometimes ready to fear that God's designs are all against us; but as to his own people, even that which seems evil, is for good. He will give them, not the expectations of their fears, or the expectations of their fancies, but the expectations of their faith; the end he has promised, which will be the best for them.

God desires that I put my faith in him. That despite my doubts, or my dreams, I must trust that He will be on my side, to do in His will what is best for me in every situation. That He will give me the expectations of my faith, and nothing else. 

Father. Help me to see your love in my life. I give you my doubts, I give you my desires. I have nothing else but to rely on you, and the more I try and serve you the more obvious that becomes. You love me, and I want to believe that all the time. 

No comments: